Treatment 'Slashes baby HIV Risk'


  • Research results claim that a baby of a HIV infected mother can be born without HIV with the correct treatments.
  • 5,151 reported pregnancies within the UK and Ireland from 2000-2006 show that only 1.2% of the babies have been infected from HIV with preventive steps taken. In 1900s, the rate of infants being born with HIV without treatments were 20%.
  • The University of College London led this research and they never saw a low rate as these in history. HIV positive women in the UK have been takeing a combo of antiretroviral(ART) drugs when they are pregnant.
  • When giving birth, caesarean section reduces the risk of HIV infection in the baby but a new study shows that a particular drug is very effective in preventing infection, and normal delivery is possible.
  • The transmission of ART during the last 14 days of pregnancy was .8% no matter the type of delivery. The success of ART was in the women who chose to take screenings for HIV
  • ART is very limited in developing countries and only 10% of women are able to get the drug. They say that 1,800 babies are born every day with HIV because their mothers were unable to get the ART drug.
  • This article goes great with out Immune System Unit because this drug in a sense is like a vaccine. Although it doesn't explain if the ART drug is a vaccine or not, it assists the immune system in making sure a baby doesn't have HIV.
This news of HIV infection being spread to an offspring is new to me. I wasn't aware that HIV can be transmitted to babies and I wonder how. But with this ART drug, I am very pleased to know that HIV infection in babies is dramatically reduced. I can see by this article that ART drugs are very effective but I also wonder if there are any side effects or draw backs. However I think that the draw backs may be worth the cost because a child with HIV at such a young age, I fear my not last very long. If this drug is produced more and more I would like to see it go to developing countries, who need it most. Our needs are important but I do think that there are others that need it more than us.
"BBC NEWS | Health | Treatment 'slashes Baby HIV Risk'" BBC NEWS | News Front Page. 6 May 2008. Web. 20 May 2010. .


1 comments:

drcuba said...

My Name is SAM KOKA from UK, i am here to give my testimony about a doctor who help me in my life. I was infected with HIV virus in the 2012,i went to many hospitals,churches for cure but there was no solution out, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that i cannot loose my life, I lost everything I have my husband run away from me and also took my children along because of my sickness. One day I was in the river side thinking the next step to take if it is to jump into the river so that I can loose my life totally or just think where I can go to get solution. so a lady walk to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to him telling her my stories, she told me that she can help me out that’s the reason she normally come here to help people so that thy can be cured because she was into this problem before, she introduce me to a doctor who cast spells on people and gave me he number and email so i called him and also email him. He told me all the things I need to provide and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening he called me and told me that i should go for medical check up, called Dr Cuba for your solutions now at
drcubatemple@gmail.com add him on watsapp +2347038965900

Post a Comment